Saturday, November 01, 2008

Blackbacked Woodpecker Sighting

Lee Foster, Birding Guide-I was wandering around Poplar Creek Guesthouse B&B property with my binoculars yesterday, the 30th of October, in the vicinity of ongoing beaver activity on poplar creek when I saw a woodpecker amongst the dead birches along the slope. I identified it as a Blackbacked Woodpecker. The head had a yellow top knot and the back was completely black with no white as would be seen on the three toed woodpecker. It was hammering away at the scaly bark of the dead birch and curiously, a downy woodpecker had arrived, and had perched itself about ten inches below the Blackbacked on the tree as if waiting for a morsel to fall, or maybe it was just out of curiosity. A moment later both were gone.

Normally the Blackbacked is seen in recently burned over areas. With a section of the May 2007 Ham Lake Fire burn only about five miles west of Poplar Creek this bird had apparently just ventured into our area and finding a dead tree here to its liking made itself at home.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 10:28 AM, Blogger Rich said...

Ted, I saw a Blackbacked Woodpecker earlier this summer adjacent to the Magnetic Rock Trail parking lot - where you'd expect it with the burn right there. My first. It was kind of funny. Two women has spotted it and asked me if I knew what it was. It had a black back, so I said "There is a Blackbacked Wood pecker up here." They looked in their bird book and there it was! A guy gets lucky some times.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home